Fordyce's Condition also termed as Fordyces spots is harmless is a chronic degenerative skin disorder. They are painless and not itchy, but may cause discomposure because of their appearance, or a fear that they might be transmitted. It is identified by tiny yellow dots in groups and sometimes in sheets on the lips, inside the mouth, and sometimes on the genital skin.
Fordyce's condition leads to tiny yellow dots in groups and occassionally in sheets on the lips, inside the mouth, and sometimes on the genital skin. They are non-contagious and a totally natural occurrence on the body. They may happen as a solitary lesion or more frequently in crops of about 50-100. The cause is unknown. These complications tend to run in families. They may cause plethora when they appear on the genitals, but they are harmless. The condition requires treatment only when it becomes ugly. It generally does not interfere in love making as they are painless.
Sometimes Fordyce spots cause solicitude but they are completely harmless whether on the lips or on the genitals. There is no linkage between Fordyce's Condition and systemic conditions. The spots are a kind of ectopic sebaceous gland, and are not known to be correlated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They are asymptomatic and found in the majority of people.
The intermediary cells have a low nucleus-cytoplasm ratio. While keeping their epidermal characters, they become rich in lipid droplets of erratic sizes and are closely related to numerous mitochondria. They are common in men and women at any age. They are derived after an American dermatologist, John Addison Fordyce. Fordyce spots on the lips can be a cause of cosmetic distress for some patients. Electrodessication or vaporising laser treatment has been used successfully to clear spots.
Causes of Fordyce Condition
The common causes and risk factor's of Fordyce Condition include the following:
- Heredity impairment.
- Viral infection, may be another reason for fordyce's condition.
- These problems tend to travel in families.
- Generic reason.
- Viral infection, may be another cause for fordyce's condition.
Symptoms of Fordyce Condition
Some sign and symptoms related to Fordyce Condition are as follows:
- There are small yellow spots on the lips, on the genital skin and mouth.
- The tiny dots may be in groups or in sheets.
Treatment of Fordyce Condition
Here is list of the methods for treating Fordyce Condition:
- Fordyce spots are normally harmless and do not require any treatment.
- Tretinoin cream or gel used daily will antithesis sebaceous hyperplasia slowly overtime and will also help keep the condition from worsening.
- Individual lesions may be removed by light cautery.
- Vaporising laser treatments such as CO 2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in reducing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern.
- TCA chemical peels will also reverse sebaceous hyperplasia, but new lesions will occur slowly after treatment.